This area will cover:
- What is a Computer?
- A computer is an electronic device that manipulates information, or data. It has the ability to store, retrieve, and process data. You may already know that you can use a computer to type documents, send email, play games, and browse the Web. You can also use it to edit or create spreadsheets, presentations, and even videos.
- Hardware vs. Software
- Hardware - is any part of your computer that has a physical structure, such as the keyboard or mouse. It also includes all of the computer's internal parts, which you can see in the image below.
- Software - is any set of instructions that tells the hardware what to do and how to do it. Examples of software include web browsers, games, and word processors.
- Different types of Computer's:
- When most people hear the word computer, they think of a personal computer such as a desktop or laptop. However, computers come in many shapes and sizes, and they perform many different functions in our daily lives. When you withdraw cash from an ATM, scan groceries at the store, or use a calculator, you're using a type of computer.
Goodwill Community Foundation. (n.d.). Computer basics - what is a computer?. https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/computerbasics/what-is-a-computer/1/